Citizenship Retention & Re-acquisition (Dual Citizenship)

Former Filipinos may re-acquire their Philippine citizenship through Republic Act (RA) No. 9225 or the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act. This law, which took effect on 17 September 2003, declares that former natural-born Filipino citizens who acquired foreign citizenship through naturalization are deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under conditions provided in the Act. A former Filipino can re-acquire Philippine citizenship by taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.

In view of the foregoing, the applicant is required to submit the following:

  • Duly accomplished Petition under Oath
  • Birth certificate issued by the NSO duly authenticated by DFA. In case the birth certificate is not available, other documentary proof of the applicant's being a former natural-born Filipino citizen.
  • Old Philippine Passport
  • Foreign Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization. Since the Act requires that the "loss of Philippine citizenship by the applicant must be on account of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country", the applicant should submit documents showing the fact of his naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country.
  • Authenticated marriage certificate, if married
  • Authenticated death certificate, if widowed
  • Annulment, if the marriage is annulled. The court decision to nullify the marriage must be certified by the proper court and authenticated by DFA.
  • Divorce decree, if divorcee. It must be certified by the proper court.
  • Three (3) 2 X 2 photos (white background) with the following view: left side view, front view and right side view
  • Payment of consular service fee of RO. 20.000 for taking an Oath of Allegiance for the re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship


  • If an applicant for dual citizenship would like to include their unmarried minor (below 18 years of age) children who were born when both parents were already non-Filipinos: submit a duplicate original or certified photocopy of the birth certificate of your children and their foreign passport.
  • A child who is already 18 years old and above and was born when either of the parent was still a Filipino needs to apply for retention of citizenship on his/her own behalf.
  • Order of Approval will be issued by the consular officer of the embassy which shall be the substantive proof that applicant has re-acquired/retained Philippine citizenship.
  • Oath of Allegiance to be undertaken by the consular officer after the Order of Approval is issued.
  • The processing of the application will take after (5) working days.